There are ketone ester supplements available for mass consumption today that can raise your blood ketone levels and help you achieve ketosis. For athletes, these supplements may help the body produce ketones that can be advantageous as an energy source during strenuous workouts. However, unless you are already on a ketogenic diet these supplements give your body mixed signals in terms of whether it should be burning primarily fats or sugars for fuel. These supplements may not be effective or necessarily safe for metabolic health long term, says Dr. Krista Varady.
Articles in this section
- Are there any other health benefits of Intermittent Fasting?
- Are there any supplements I can take to improve the efficacy of my fast?
- Can fasting negatively impact my bone density?
- Can I have a cheat day?
- Does Intermittent Fasting promote longevity?
- How long can I expect to wait before I experience benefits from Intermittent Fasting?
- How long does it take to get into ketosis?
- How long is it safe to fast for?
- Is Intermittent Fasting safe for me if I'm undergoing cancer treatment?
- Is Intermittent Fasting safe for me?